Saturday 2 June 2012

Lifeless


The Tree of Life (2011)

Directed by Terrence Malick this film stars Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain. In 1950s Texas the eldest son has a rocky relationship with his father as he starts to come of age.

This film is beautifully shot and scored but I have some serious problems with it. I like non-linear story telling as much as the next person but this film stretches things too far in my opinion, it seems to take over half an hour to actually get started and despite the universe formation sequence being amazing it is far too long and seems completely out of place. As much as I admire the execution of the film the opening and end of the film are just too far removed from what seems to be the main narrative that it makes large portions of the film seem redundant. Maybe I am missing something but I would suggest that at best this film is an acquired taste which is a real shame as it feels like there is a great film in here somewhere.

2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment